Medical Entrance Exams NEET practice set-5
1. Who is associated with the study of annual recurrence of wheat rust in India?
(a) E.J. Butler (b) K.C. Mehta
(c) M.S. Swaminathan (d) M.O.P. Iyengar
2. The oldest available literature in the field of botany is
(a) Historia Naturalis (b) Historia Plantarum
(c) Materia Medica (d) Species Plantarum
3. In lac operon the compound that actually
functions as repressor is
(a) allolactose (b) lactose
(c) product of i gene, a protein
4. Which of the following accepts terminal electron?
(a) Molecular O2 (b) Molecular H2
(c) Molecular CO2 (d)
5. The radiation energy of light is converted to chemical energy and stored as
(a) AMP (b) ADP
(c) ATP (d) APP
6. Which of the following is a stress hormone involved in the closure of stomata?
(a) GA (b) ABA
(c) CK (d) None of these
7. In the five-kingdom system of classification, which single kingdom out of the following can include blue, green algae nitrogen-fixing bacteria and methanogenic archaebacteria?
(a) Monera (b) Fungi
(c) Plantae (d) Protista
8. Which of the following pairs of plants is not seed producer?
(a) Funaria and Ficus (b) Funaria and Fern
(c) Punica and Pinus (d) Ficus and Fucus
9. Which one of the following pesticides is extracted from Chrysanthemum cinerarifolium?
(a) Organochlorides (b) Carbamate
(c) Pyrethroids (d) Triazines
10. In cyathium inflorescence, the ratio between male and female flowers is
(a) one : many (b) many : one
(c) one : one (d) one : two
11. Which one among the following is not a part of bark?
(a) Secondary phloem
(b) Secondary xylem
(c) Cork cambium
(d) Secondary cortex
12. A single-stranded DNA molecule is a genetic material of bacteriophages
(a) T2 (b) T4
(c) (d) l
13. Bacteriophage is the name given to
(a) a bacterium that infects a virus
(b) a virus which infects a bacterium
(c) a bacterium which infects the animal cell
(d) an organelle of the bacterium
14. Genetic transfer through viruses in bacteria is called
(a) sexduction (b) transduction
(c) conjugation (d) transformation
15. The protein-rich improved variety of maize is
(a) Protina (b) Rattan
(c) Shakti (d) All of these
16. In Spirogyra a brief period of tetranucleate condition is found in
(a) hold fast
(c) vegetative cell
(d) germinating zygote
17. Reserve food material in fungi is
(a) glycogen (b) starch
(c) sucrose (d) maltose
18. Which is commonly known as ‘Peat moss’ or ‘Bog-moss’?
(a) Polytrichum (b) Funaria
(c) Sphagnum (d) None of these
19. Pteridophytes differ from bryophytes in having
(a) independent sporophyte
(b) dependent sporophyte
(c) no vascular bundles
(d) jacketed sex organs
20. Colletotrichum and Alternaria belong to
(a) Deuteromycetes (b) Ascomycetes
(c) Basidiomycetes (d) Phycomycetes
21. In which part of Cycas diploxylic vascular bundles are found?
(a) Root (b) Stem
(c) Leaflet (d) Rachis and leaflet
22. The presence of sheathing leaf base and a ligule is characteristic of
(a) fern leaf (b) banana leaf
(c) Cycas leaf (d) grass leaf
23. Elaters help in spore dispersal in the case of
(a) Riccia (b) Marselia
(c) Marchantia (d) Ferns
24. What will be zero in a fully turgid cell?
(a) Turger Pressure
(b) Wall Pressure
(c) Suction Pressure
(d) Osmotic Pressure
25. An alga parasitic on another alga of the same class is
26. At incipient plasmolysis, water potential is equal to
27. Which of the following theories gives the latest explanation for the closure of stomata?
(a) Abscisic acid theory
(b) Munch theory
(c) Starch glucose theory
(d) Active K+ transport theory
28. In which one of the following plants, CO2 fixation occurs both during darkness and in presence of light by C4 and C3 pathway, respectively?
(a) Tritium (b) Zea
(c) Agave (d) Pisum
29. Which of the following is maximum in the chloroplast?
(a) Rubisco (b) Hexokinase
(c) Phosphatase (d) Permease
30. Photorespiration is favoured by
(b) low temperature and high O2
(c) low O2 and high CO2
(d) low light and high O2
(a) are the genes that change their position on the chromosome
(b) were first observed by Barbara McClintock
(c) are highly useful in genetic engineering
(d) all of the above
32. What will happen, if terminal bud of a plant is removed?
(a) The plant will die
(b) The lateral buds will grow
(c) The shoot will die
(d) All its leaves will fall
33. Gibberellins can promote seed germination because of their influence on
(a) Rate of cell division
(b) Production of hydrolyzing enzymes
(c) Synthesis of abscisic acid
(d) Absorption of water through hard seed coat
34. An American plant which is a troublesome water weed in India is
(a) Parthenium (b) Typha
(c) Trapa (d) Euphorbia
35. The species that occur in different geographical regions are called
(c) ecological equivalents
(d) none of these
36. When a woman with the genotype AaBbCc marries a man with similar genotype for skin colour that is polygenically inherited, then how many out of 64 will be exactly like their parents in their complexion?
37. Which of the following is not an important atmospheric pollutant?
(a) CO (b) SO2
(c) CO2 (d) Hydrocarbons
38. The study of which of the following has confirmed that antibiotic resistance is due to chloroplast – DNA whereas the male sterility is due to mitochondrial -DNA?
(b) Embryo culture
(c) Anther culture
(d) Meristem culture
39. Which of the following plants yields the drug belladonna?
(a) Papaver (b) Atropa
(c) Phoenix (d) Acacia
40. A commonly used plasmid in gene cloning is
(a) Ti-plasmid (b)
(c) cosmid (d) BACs
41. In sweet pea, genes C and P are necessary for colour in flowers. The flowers are white in the absence of either or, both the genes. What will be the percentage of coloured flowers in the offspring of the cross Ccpp X ccPp?
(a) 100% (b) 75%
(c) 50% (d) 25%
42. If two genes a and b are linked and show 20% recombination, the proportion of gametes produced in by a dihybrid ++ / ab derived from a cross between ++ / ++ and ab/ab would be
(a) ++ 80 : ab 20
(b) ++ 50 : ab 50
(c) ++ 40 : ab 40 : + a10 : +b10
(d) ++ 20 : ab 20 : +a20 : +b20
43. Jumping genes are referred to as
(c) cytoplasmic particles
44. Cruciform corolla is found in
(a) Helianthus (b) Hibiscus
(c) Raphanus (d) Pisum
45. In rodents, a double recessive homozygous individual shows which of the following type of coat colour?
(a) Black (b) Agouti
(c) Brown (d) Albino
46. Amino acid binding site in t-RNA is
(a) CCA 3’ end (b) DHU loop
(c) 5’ end (d) Anticodon loop
47. In the equation dN/dt = rN that denotes the formula for exponential growth curve, what does ‘r’ denote?
(a) Population density
(b) Intrinsic rate of natural increase
(c) Base of natural logarithm
(d) Carrying capacity
48. The type of rRNA whose nucleotide sequences help to construct a phylogenetic tree establishing closeness among the species?
(a) 23 S rRNA
(b) 16 S rRNA
(c) 5 S rRNA
(d) None of these
49. Manipulation of DNA in genetic engineering became possible due to the discovery of
(a) Restriction endonuclease
(b) DNA ligase
50. Which of the following is an economically important plant whose seeds with perisperm are used as spices?
(a) Areca (b) Carica
(c) Ricinus (d) Piper