Class 10 Magnetic effects of current
Very Short Answer Type Questions:
- What is a magnet?
- What is a permanent magnet?
- What is a temporary magnet?
- What is an electromagnet?
- What is the direction of magnetic field lines?
- What is the shape of magnetic field lines due to a straight current-carrying conductor?
Fill in the blanks:
- A microphone works on ……………..effect of electric current.
- There are ……………poles in a magnet.
- A freely suspended bar magnet always points to ……………..direction when it is in rest.
- The north pole of a bar magnet is called the ………….seeking pole.
- The south pole of a bar magnet is called the ………………..seeking pole.
- ……………poles of two magnets repel each other.
- ……………..poles of two magnets attract each other.
Write True/False for the following:
- Natural magnets are permanent magnets.
- All current-carrying conductors may not produce the magnetic effect.
- All electromagnets are solenoids.
- Electromagnetism is responsible for working with speakers.
- A solenoid creates the uniform magnetic field.
- Magnetic strength decreases with increase in current.
- Magnetic strength increases with increase in a number of turns in the coil in the solenoid.
Answer: 1 → T, 2→ F, 3 → F, 4 → T, 5 → T, 6 → F, 7 → T
Short Answer Type Questions:
- Write any three uses of the magnet.
- How does the pattern of magnetic field lines show that magnetic field is stronger near a magnet but weaker away from it?
- What is the relationship between the direction of electric current and that of magnetic field lines?
- Briefly, explain the Right-Hand Thumb Rule.
- Briefly, explain Maxwell’s Corkscrew Rule.
Long Answer Type Questions:
- What are the properties of magnetic field lines?
- Comment on magnetic field lines due to a straight current-carrying conductor.
Multiple Choice Questions
- Which of the following works on magnetic effect of electric current?
- a. Microphone
- b. Speaker
- c. CD drive
- d. All of the above
- What is the shape of magnetic field lines near a bar magnet?
- a. Concentric lines
- b. Parallel lines
- c. Zig-zag lines
- d. Wavy lines
- What is the shape of magnetic field lines in the centre of a current-carrying loop?
- a. Concentric lines
- b. Straight lines
- c. Wavy lines
- d. Zig-zag lines
- What is the shape of a solenoid?
- a. Cylinder
- b. Circle
- c. Helix
- d. Spherical
- How does a solenoid behave like a magnet? Can you determine the north and south poles of a current-carrying solenoid with the help of a bar magnet? Explain.
- A magnetic compass shows a deflection when placed near a current-carrying wire. How will the deflection of the compass get affected if the current in the wire is increased? Support your answer with a reason. (NCERT)