Getting to know plants Notes
Venation: arrangement of veins on a leaf blade.
Pollen: male sex cells found in anthers.
Root: the underground part of a plant.
Shrubs: plants of medium height with a woody stem. compound leaf: a leaf with many laminas or leaflets.
Flower: the reproductive organ of a plant.
Stomata: the minute holes present mostly on the lower surface of the leaf.
Sepal: the green leaf-like the part in the outermost circle of a flower.
Node: parts of the stem from where a branch, leaf arises.
Leaf: the flat green structure of the plant where the food is prepared.
Shoot: the aerial part of the plant.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
• A plant body consists of two main division root and shoot.
• The stem bears leaves, flowers and fruits.
• The plants on the basis of their stem have been classified into three types i.e. herbs, shrubs and tree.
• Leaves are food manufacturing part of a plant; they also help in transpiration, respiration, excretion etc.
• The shoot consists of stem, leaves, flowers and fruits.
• All plants have similar basic structure.
• A leaf with a single blade is called a simple leaf. A leaf whose leaf blade is divided into a number of leaflets is called compound leaf.
• The stalk-like a portion of the stamen is the filament, while its head is the anther. The carpel consists of the stigma, style and ovary.
A. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
1. The part of the plant which takes part in photosynthesis
2. In which plant does the stem perform the function of a leaf?
3. The part of the flower which develops into fruit is
4. The plant with a tap root is
(d) all of these
5. The points on the stem from where leaf grow are called
6. The male part of the flower is called
7. The process of loss of water by a plant
through its leaves are called
8. When pollen is transferred to the stigma of a flower, the process is called
9. The broad flat green part of the leaf is called the
(a) leaf base
(b) leaf apex
(c) leaf blade
(d) none of these
10. Which part of the plant grows in the soil?
1.(a) 2. (b) 3. (a) 4. (c) 5. (b) 6. (a) 7. (c) 8. (a) 9. (c) 10. (a)
B. Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
1.————- are big and tall plants with hard and thick woody stem.
2. Some plant does not have a main————–
3. The stem is the————organ of the plant.
1. Trees are big and tall plants with hard and thick woody stem.
2. Some plants do not have the main root.
3. The stem is the strongest organ of the plant.
Getting to know plants
C. State True or False.
1. In a flower, the ovary develops into fruits.
2. Roots help to absorb the minerals from the soil to plant.
3. The flattened but extended blade of a leaf is called petiole.
4. Herb is a plant with small height and soft green stem.
5. Transfer of pollen grains from the anther to a stigma is called pollination.
Ans:1. True, 2. True, 3. False, 4. True, 5. True
CLASS VI SCIENCE