Garbage in garbage out Class 6
Composting: the process of converting biodegradable waste materials into compost
Landfill: a large area used for waste disposal
Recycling: the process by which waste materials are used to make new products
Wastes: Useless or unwanted materials biodegradable waste materials: waste
Material that can be broken down by natural agents, like bacteria.
Segregation: separating solid wastes into different categories
Recycling: the processing of a material to make it reusable
Vermicomposting: the method of preparing compost with the help of red worms non-biodegradable waste Material: waste materials that cannot be broken down by natural agents; like bacteria
POINTS TO REMEMBER
• Materials which are of no use for its owner and can be thrown away are called wastes.
• Organic waste which decomposes due to biological action is called biodegradable waste.
• Plastic, metals etc. do not decompose and are called non-bio degradable.
• Waste management is necessary to protect the environment, prevent the spread of communicable diseases and obtain useful recyclable materials.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following can be recycled?
(a) Leather shoes
(b) Animal waste
(c) Waste paper
(d) Kitchen waste
2. Which wastes can be recycled?
(b) Onion Peel
(d) Banana peel
3. Dried leaves and plant wastes are best disposed of by
(c) using as fuel
(d) throwing in ponds
4. Which of the following is used for vermicomposting?
(c) Blue worms
5. The colour of dustbins in which biodegradable garbage is collected as
6. By recycling used paper we can save
1. (c) 2. (a) 3. (b) 4. (a) 5. (b) 6. (c)
Very Short Answer Type Questions
1. What are landfills?
2. What type of worms are used for vermicomposting?
3. Define the term ‘wastes’
4. Name any three materials which do not rot even after years.
5. Name three waste materials which can be recycled.
6. What is meant by recycling?
1. Landfills are large areas used for waste disposal.
2. Red Worms
3. Wastes refer to substances that pollute the environment.
4. Plastic, metals, glass
5. fresh paper, plastic, glass
6. Recycling means that we should collect discarded items made of plastics, paper, glass and metals and send them to the respective industries for making fresh paper, plastic, glass and metal objects.
Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
1. Biodegradable waste materials are also known as———.
2. ————–do not have teeth.
3. Plastics have become an integral part of our————.
4. Consuming food packed in such————— could be harmful to our health.
5. The compost made by using —————–is called vermicompost.
1. Biodegradable waste materials are also known as organic waste materials.
2. Redworms do not have teeth.
3. Plastics have become an integral part of our life.
4. Consuming food packed in such plastic bags could be harmful to our health.
5. The compost made by using red worms is called vermicompost.