Class Ten Science NCERT Solutions Chapter 16
Chapter 16: Sustainable Management of Natural Resources
Q.1. What changes can you make in your habits to become more environment-friendly?
Ans. We can become environment-friendly by :
• Using the principle of 3R’s i.e. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
• Putting off unnecessary lights and fans.
• Using unleaded petrol in vehicles.
• Using local transport like buses or train.
Q.2. What would be the advantages of exploiting resources with short-term aims?
Ans. If resources are exploited with short-term aims it will be very beneficial for the present generation as it will help in the growth of the economy at a faster rate.
Q.3. How would these advantages differ from the advantages of using a long-term perspective in managing our resources?
Ans. If resources are used in accordance with short term aims, the present generation will be able to utilise the resources properly for growth and development.
But if we use resources with long term aims, the future generation will also be able to utilise resources for fulfilling its needs.
Thus, it would be better to use our natural resources with a long term perspective so that it could be used by the present generation as well as conserved for future use. But it will deprive the future generation of the benefits of these resources as resources are exhaustible.
Q.4. Why do you think there should be equitable distribution of resources? What forces would be working against an equitable distribution of our resources?
Ans. Natural resources of the Earth must be distributed among the people uniformly so that each and everyone gets his share of the resource.
Human greed, corruption, and the lobby of the rich and powerful are the forces working against an equitable distribution of resources.
Q.5. Why should we conserve forests and wildlife?
Ans. We should conserve forests and wildlife because they are essential for us in the following terms :
• Forests provide us with oxygen, they cause rainfall.
• Forest prevents soil erosion,
• Plants are dependent on animals and birds for their pollination and seed dispersal.
• Forests provide us with various medicines.
• Various forest products are used as raw materials in industries.
Q.6. Suggest some approaches towards the conservation of forests.
Ans. Some approaches towards the conservation of forests are and biosphere reserves.
• Conversion of forests into national parks, sanctuaries.
• To take the help of local people in conserving the forest.
• Not to allow the destruction of forests for making roads, dams and hotels etc.
• Planting of trees should be increased.
Q.7. Compare the above system with the probable systems in hilly/mountainous areas or plains or plateau regions.
Ans. In plains, the water harvesting structures are crescent-shaped earthen embankments. These are low, straight, and concrete.
In hilly regions, the system of canal irrigation called Kulhs is used for water harvesting. This involves a collection of rainwater in a stream, which is then diverted into man-made channels down the hillsides.