Class Ten Science Chapter 16 NCERT Solutions
Chapter 16: Sustainable Management of Natural Resources
Text Book Exercises
Q.8. What changes would you suggest in your home in order to be environment-friendly?
Ans. Changes that can be undertaken in our homes to be environment-friendly are:
• Switch off the electrical appliances when not in use.
• Turn the taps off while brushing or bathing and repair the leaking taps.
• Throw biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes into separate bins.
• Construct composting pits.
• Food items such as jam, pickles, etc., come packed in plastic glass bottles. These bottles can later be used for storing things in the kitchen.
Q.9. Can you suggest some changes in your school, which would make it environment-friendly?
Ans. Changes that can be undertaken in our schools to make it environment-friendly are :
• Electricity can be saved by switching off lights and fans when not required.
• Turn the taps off when not in use.
• Biodegradable and non-biodegradable wastes should be thrown into separate bins.
Q.10. We saw in this chapter that there are four main stakeholders when it comes to forests and wildlife. Which among these should have the authority to decide the management of forest produce? Why do you think so?
Ans. The forest department of the government should have the authority to decide the management of forest produce. This is because the forest department is the caretaker of the forest land and is responsible for any damage to the forest.
Q.11. How can you as an individual contribute or make a difference to the management of:
(a) forests and wildlife,
(b) water resources and
(c) coal and petroleum?
Ans. (a) Forests and wildlife
• We should protest against the cutting of trees (deforestation).
• We should protest against the poaching of wild animals.
• We should stop the annexation of forest land for our use.
(b) Water resources
• Turn the taps off while brushing or bathing and repair leaking taps.
• We should practice rainwater harvesting.
• We should avoid the discharge of sewage and other wastes into rivers and other water resources.
(c) Coal and petroleum
• We should take a bus or practise carpooling to avoid excessive use of petroleum.
• We should stop using coal as fuel.
• We should use alternative sources of energy such as hydro-energy and solar energy instead of depending largely on coal and petroleum.
Q.12. What can you as an individual do to reduce your consumption of the various natural resources?
Ans. Natural resources such as water, forests, coal and petroleum are important for the survival of human beings. The ways in which we can reduce the consumption of various natural resources are :
• We should use recycled paper to reduce the cutting down of trees.
• We should not waste water.
• We should practice rainwater harvesting.
• We should practice carpooling to avoid the excessive use of petroleum.
• We should use alternative sources of energy such as hydro-energy and solar energy.
Q.13. List five things you have done over the last week to :
(a) conserve our natural resources.
(b) increase the pressure on our natural resources.
Ans. (a) To conserve our natural resources :
• Travelled by public transport and bicycle.
• Used recycled paper ;
• Separated biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste into separate waste bags;
• Avoided food wastage and planted trees.
• Reduced consumption of electricity by switching off lights and have not used room heaters in winter;
• Turned off taps when brushing or bathing and repaired the leaking taps;
(b) To increase the pressure on our natural resources :
• Sometimes at night I forget to switch off the lights.
• Used non-recycled papers for school work;
• Used plastics and polythene bags for carrying goods.
• Used family car to visit some places thereby wasting fuel;
• Used room heater at night.
• Sometimes forgot to turn off taps while using water for bathing, etc and wasted water for gardening and car washing.
Q.14. On the basis of the issues raised in this chapter, what changes would you incorporate in your life-style in a move towards sustainable use of our resources?
Ans. One should incorporate the following changes in life-style in a move towards sustainable use of our resources:
• Stop cutting trees and practise plantation of trees.
• Stop using plastic and polythene bags for carrying goods.
• Use recycled paper.
• Throw biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste into separate bins.
• Waste minimum amount of water while using and repair leaking taps.
• Practice rainwater harvesting.
• Avoid using vehicles for short distances. Instead, one can walk or use a bicycle to cover short distances.
• To cover long distances, one should take a bus instead of using personal vehicles.
• Switch off electrical appliances when not in use.
• Use fluorescent tubes in place of bulbs to save electricity.
• Take the stairs and avoid using lifts.
• During winters, wear an extra sweater to avoid using heaters.