Class Ten Economics Chapter 5 Additional Questions
Chapter 5: Consumer Right
Very Short Answer Type Questions. [1 Mark]
1. Mention one major form of consumer exploitation.
Ans. Underweight and under measurement.
2. The exploitation of consumers happens in various ways. Mention any two.
Ans. Exploitation takes various forms. Some common forms of exploitation are given below.
(i) Duplicate Articles (ii) Adulteration
3. Define adulteration.
Ans. Adulteration means mixing something impure with something genuine or mixing an inferior article with a superior one of the same kind.
4. If you want to extract information about the functions of any government department, which right would you exercise?
Ans. Right to information RTI.
5. When did the United Nations adopt the UN guidelines for consumer protection?
Ans. In 1985.
6. How do big companies manipulate the market?
Ans. At times false information is passed on through the media advertisements to attract consumers.
7. Why did the consumer movement arise in India?
Why was the Consumer Protection Act enacted by the Indian Parliament?
Ans. The consumer movement arose out of dissatisfaction of consumers as many unfair practices were being indulged in by the sellers. Later, in 1986 the Indian Parliament passed the consumer protection Act, (COPRA) to protect the interests of consumers.
8. Who is called a Consumer?
Ans. One who pays a price for a commodity or service and uses it is called a consumer.
9. Define ‘right to be informed’.
Ans. Consumers have the right to be informed about the particulars of goods and services that they purchase.
10. What is ‘right to choose’?
Ans. Any consumer who receives a service in whatever capacity, regardless of age, gender and nature of service, has the right to choose whether to continue to receive the service.
11. Explain the ‘right to seek redressal’.
Ans. If any damage is done to a consumer, he/she has the right to get compensation depending on the degree of damage.
12. Name the department in the state and central government dealing with consumers.
Ans. Department of Consumer Affairs.
13. Which logos are marked on goods as certificates of quality standards?
Ans. ISI, Agmark, Hallmark, etc.
14. While buying jewellery which logo will you look for?
15. Who said, “A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him…”?
Ans. Mahatma Gandhi.