Class 8 Science Sound
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- The speed of sound in solids is the speed of sound in liquids.
(a) same as
(b) less than
(c) greater than
(d) sometimes greater and sometimes smaller
- Bats detect the obstacles in their path
by receiving the reflected
(a) infrasonic waves
(b) electromagnetic waves
(c) radio waves
(d) ultrasonic waves.
- Which of the following is not a characteristic of a musical sound?
- Sound waves do not travel through
- Which one of the following can hear an infrasonic sound?
- What kind of musical instrument is a sitar?
- In a ‘dholak’ sound is produced due to:
(a) stretched membrane
(b) air column
(c) stretched strings
(d) the vibration of air
- The pitch of sound depends on the of the vibrating body
(d) the medium of propagation
- The human ear can hear sounds having frequency range:
(a) between 200-20,000Hz
(b) between 200-2000Hz
(c) between 20-2000Hz
(d) between 20-20,000Hz
- SI unit of time period is
- Vibrations inside the ear are amplified by the three bones namely the in the middle ear.
(a) Hammer, anvil and stirrup
(b) Hammer, cochlea and stirrup
(c) Hammer, anvil and pinna
(d) Auditory bone, anvil and stirrup
- SI unit of pitch is
Fill in the blanks:
- A low pitch sound is called a———– sound.
- The sound which is pleasing to the ear called —–music——–sound.
- You cannot hear sounds below ——20——-Hz. These are called——–infra-sonic———
- SI unit of frequency in——-Hz————-.
- The hammer, anvil and stirrup are three tiny bones present in the————— ear.
- Veena and sitar are examples of——musical ——— instruments.
State whether ‘True’ (T) or ‘False’ (F):
- The SI unit of loudness is Hertz. F
- Sound cannot travel in a vacuum. T
- The unpleasant or unwanted sound is termed as music. F
- Sound can be produced by beating an object irrespective of whether these are vibrating or not. F
- Excessive noise can cause deafness. F
- Curtains, cushions and rugs absorb sound. T