Click here for Study Material of Class 6 to 12 And Competitive exams and IIT-JEE, AIIMS and NEET Exams.
Class 7 science chapter 16 short answers-questions
Chapter 16: WATER: A PRECIOUS RESOURCE
A. Indicate ‘true’ and ‘false’ among the following sentences:
1. Water availability includes all the three; water stress, water deficits and water crisis.
2. One of the main reasons for water shortage is the rapid growth of industries.
3. The people in the village suffer because they spend hours in fetching water from distant places due to scarcity of water.
4. In some places, there is an actual shortage of water during winter days.
Answer: 1. F, 2 T., 3. T, 4. F
B. Fill in the blanks:
1. The water found below the water table is called_____.
2. The rainwater can be used to_____ the groundwater.
3. Leaving the tap open is a source of _______.
4. Three forms of water are _____, _____ and _____.
5. _______ of buildings is one of the ways to use water economically.
6. ‘Every _______ counts’ is a slogan related to the importance of water.
7. Any type of _______ in taps are also a source of water wastage.
8. Rajasthan is a cold and dry place because of the _______ rainfall.
1. groundwater, 2. recharge, 3. water wastage, 4. solid, liquid and gas
5. Proper Construction, 6. drop, 7. leakage, 8. scanty
A. Very Short Answer Type Questions
1. When and Why do we celebrate world water day?
Answer: We celebrate world water day on 22 March to aware everyone about the conservation of water.
2. What is the main reason for drought in some places?
Answer: Lower rainfall for a long period is the main reason for drought in any particular area.
3. Earth appears blue from space. Why?
Answer: 71 per cent of the earth is covered with water and rest it is a land, which is only 29 per cent. Therefore the earth appears blue from space.
4. Give one example of a solid form of water.
5. What do you understand by the term infiltration?
Answer: The process of seeping of water into the ground is called infiltration.
6. What is an aquifer?
Answer: An underground layer of water-bearing permeable rock, rock fractures or loosely arranged materials (gravel, sand or silt) is called an aquifer.
7. What do you mean by mismanagement of water?
Answer: The mismanagement of water means using it carelessly.
B. Short Answer Type Questions
1. Describe ‘water table’? How the level of the water table can be increased?
Answer: The level just below the surface of the ground where you start to find water between the particles of soil is called the water table. Rain is the main factor which raises the water table.
2. What is the importance of the water cycle?
Answer: Water cycle ensures the constant availability of freshwater on earth which is vital for every living being to survive, as we know that there is no life on earth without water.
3. Give any one reason for the depletion of water table on earth.
Answer: the Increasing population is one of the reasons for the depletion of water table on earth.
4. What is meant by ‘drip irrigation’? What is its advantage?
Answer: Drip irrigation is to provide water directly to the plant’s roots by the help of narrow pipes. In this method, water is either dripped onto the soil surface above the roots or directly to the root zone.
5. What are the bawris? Give the name of anyone famous bawri.
Answer: Bawris was the traditional way of collecting water. In old age, people used bawris to collect and manage the rainwater. Chand bawri located in Rajasthan is one of the famous bawris.
6. The term harvesting is used in agriculture. What is meant by water harvesting?
Answer: The collection of rainwater for recharging the groundwater and storing for future use at the time of water shortage is called water or rainwater harvesting.
7. Write any two good habits that help to conserve the water.
Answer: The two habits that help to conserve the water are as follows:
1. Keep the tap turns off while brushing the teeth
2. Prefer mopping the floor instead of washing
8. Name any one place which receives erratic rainfall. Answer: Bhujpur in the kutch area of Gujrat receives erratic rainfall throughout the year.