Class 10 Our Environment Ecosystem Exercise
Very Short Answer Type Questions:
- What is an ecosystem?
- Which are the two components of an ecosystem?
- Name some abiotic components of an ecosystem.
- What do you understand by producers in an ecosystem?
- What do you understand decomposers?
- Give an example of a simple food chain with three trophic levels.
- Give an example of a simple food chain in a pond.
- What is the difference between a number of organisms at a lower trophic level than that at higher trophic level?
- What is the direction of flow of energy in an ecosystem?
Fill in the blanks:
- A green plant plays the role of …………….in an ecosystem.
- The soil is an example of ……………..factor.
- A rabbit plays the role of ………………….in an ecosystem.
- Man is at the …………..trophic level.
- An aquarium is an example of ……………ecosystem.
- Green plants convert solar energy into …………energy; in the form of food.
- A lot of energy is dissipated in the form of …………….during conversion of energy.
Write True/False for the following:
- Artificial ecosystems are self-sustaining.
- All natural ecosystems are self-sustaining.
- A particular prey is eaten by only one predator.
- The population of carnivores is usually less than that of herbivores.
- Energy flow through the food chain is in both directions.
- There can be a limited number of trophic levels in a food chain.
- Most of the energy consumed by an organism is available for the organism at next trophic level.
Short Answer Type Questions:
- What is the role of temperature in an ecosystem?
- What is the role of water in an ecosystem?
- Write a brief note on producers in an ecosystem.
- Explain the food chain with the help of a suitable example.
- Why is the food chain also called the energy chain?
- What do you understand by the unidirectional flow of energy through the food chain? What are its implications?
Long Answer Type Questions:
- Explain the role of some abiotic factors.
Multiple Choice Questions
- Which of the following shows the correct sequence in a food chain?
- Grass à Frog à Grasshopper à Snake
- Grass à Grasshopper à Snake à Frog
- Grass à Grasshopper à Frog à Snake
- Grass à Snake à Frog à Grasshopper
- Which is the main source of energy for all living beings?
- Green plants
- Which of the following is an example of the artificial ecosystem?
- Which of the following will always be at the highest trophic level?
- Which of the following will always be at the lowest trophic level?
- How much of the total energy falling on leaves of a plant is utilized for food production?
- Why does a poultry owner need to clean the poultry farm at regular intervals?
- Use of chemical fertilizers is not good for our health. Why?